Handling Criminal Copyright and Trademark Issues Nationwide
Copyright and trade infringement laws are so complex that individuals and businesses in New York frequently do not realize they have violated the laws. Even so, the penalties for breaking the federal laws that govern criminal infringement of copyrights and trademarks can be severe.
If federal investigators have contacted you or a cease-and-desist letter has been served, knowledgeable legal counsel is necessary. To minimize any potential damage to you or your company, reach out to New York copyright infringement attorney Nishay K. Sanan, Esq., for help. Mr. Sanan has more than 15 years’ experience aggressively defending clients facing white collar crime issues, including intellectual property violations.
Understanding Criminal Intellectual Property Charges
Not every infringement of a copyright or trademark results in a criminal case. In fact, most infringements result in civil lawsuits. However, there are certain types intellectual property crimes that are considered particularly serious and can result in federal indictments. Some examples include:
- Theft of trade secrets
- Digital piracy (including violation of certain music copyrights and movie copyrights)
- Trafficking in counterfeit goods
Copyright infringement itself can be charged when the infringement was committed:
- For purposes of commercial or financial gain
- By reproducing or distributing one or more copyrighted works whose retail value is more than $1,000
- By distributing a work for free with the knowledge that the copyright holder was planning to distribute the work for commercial gain
- By placing a fraudulent copyright notice on an item
- By knowingly removing a copyright notice
- By knowingly making a false representation when applying for a copyright
A Lawyer Who Understands Federal Procedure
Copyright, trademark and other intellectual property infringement cases are nearly always charged in federal court. With more than 15 years of federal criminal defense experience, Nishay K. Sanan knows the intricate rules and procedures involved in federal criminal cases. He develops strategies to counter federal prosecutors and protect his clients’ rights. With a practice devoted primarily to federal cases, you can rely on Mr. Sanan’s ability to guide you through this uncertain time.
Contact a Skilled Manhattan Trademark Infringement Attorney
If you are under investigation or accused of criminal intellectual property infringement of copyrights and trademarks, Nishay K. Sanan can defend you. Please call his Manhattan law office at 312-692-0360 or 888-335-6504. You can also contact his law firm online. While initial consultations are free, clients may be asked to reimburse for travel expenses.